[Ves] Two KiwiViewers , one view controller–for an orientation cube

DEB63 at pitt.edu DEB63 at pitt.edu
Tue Jun 24 10:58:41 EDT 2014

Hello,

I work in one of the research labs at the University of Pittsburgh.  We
are currently using the VES and KiwiViewer to render 3D medical research
data on both iOS and Android.  As a nice added feature, we would like to
implement a small orientation cube (or other rendered object) to assist
users with the visualization of our data.

To do this cleanly,  our current approach is to instantiate one larger and
one smaller KiwiViewer within the same view controller (either
GKLViewController on iOS, or GLSurfaceView on Android).  The smaller (top)
KiwiViewer would support the orientation cube, and would need to have its
background set to transparent in order to see the content of the larger
KiwiViewer beneath it.   Our hope is that, by doing it this way, the two
cameras would provide a clean way to synch up a subset of the gesture
handling, etc

Are there any foreseeable issues with this approach, such as possible
problems with trying to instantiate two KiwiViewers within one view
controller (e.g. running two initGL()’s  for instance), or with setting
the background of the orientation cube’s KiwiViewer to transparent?

Thanks