[Ves] ves kiwi visualisation pipelines

Pat Marion james.patrick.marion at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 18:11:41 EDT 2014

Hi Jamie,

Have you looked at vesKiwiImagePlaneDataRepresentation and
vesKiwiImageWidgetRepresentation?

For contouring, you can use the vtkContourFilter on a vtkImageData and get
a vtkPolyData result.  The vtkPolyData is rendered using
vesKiwiPolyDataRepresentation.  Tthe vesKiwiImagePlaneDataRepresentation is
a subclass of vesKiwiPolyDataRepresentation, it takes a 2d vtkImageData and
renders it as a textured quad.  For coloring, see line 120 in
vesKiwiImagePlaneDataRepresentation.  It uses a vesKiwiColorMapCollection
class, which is basically just a container of preferred color maps.  If no
preferred color map is set, then you see on line 122 it defaults to a
grayscale map.  The color map can be any subclass of vtkScalarsToColors, so
that includes a vtkColorTransferFunction is that's what you want to use.

In general, you can use any vtk data filters in ves/kiwi, but you can't use
vtk's rendering classes and widgets, because of the OpenGL ES 2.0
requirement.  Your processing pipeline should eventually generate
vtkPolyData to be rendered.

Pat