[Ves] Modifying actors properties before rendering them

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Wed Mar 20 17:44:15 EDT 2013

Hi Carlos,

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Carlos <ves at calculoandamios.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> In VTK I have derived the vtkAxesActor class in order to fix the trihedron
> in a fixed place on the screen. For this I have override the
> RenderOpaqueGeometry() method that is called for each actor when a
> renderer->render() is invoked and I modify the position of the Axes to
> display it in the desired position.

Have a look at the vesTransformInteface.h. Based on your description,
I am thinking that you can call setReferenceFrame on the actor and
pass it vesTransformInterface::Absolute option.

> I’m aware of the limitations of this class in VES as it has been discussed
> in a previous thread but I would like to know if there is a similar way to
> modify the position of one actor before rendering it with the camera
> parameters already established. My problem is that I do not fully understand
> the workflow generated after a renderer->render() call. I have checked the
> VES code and there are some other classes involved as vesVisitor that I do
> not understand.
>

> In VTK I also display an image background using a second camera not related
> with the interactor but as I understand it is not possible to use a second
> camera in VES. I’m thinking in using the first approach and modify the image
> position before rendering it. Does it make sense?

You can grab the background object from the renderer then you can set
an image on it. Look at the vesRenderer.h and vesBackground.h headers.

Let me know if this helps.