[Ves] Frame rate in Kiwiviewer for IOS. glkview drawInRect

Pat Marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Mon Jul 1 20:00:20 EDT 2013

Hi Carlos,

The KiwiViewer 1.0 app for iOS and Android only renders when needed,
whereas KiwiViewer 2.0 for iOS always renders (redraws) at 30 fps.  Larger
models will prevent a redraw rate of 30 fps, but still, the app runs an
animation loop.  The animation loop is active by default.  To prevent
rendering, you can set the "paused" property of the GLKViewController, then
it will only redraw when explicitly requested.  But then the view won't
redraw at all, even when the camera moves during touch interactions, or
some other setting is changed like background color, camera projection
mode, current dataset, etc.  Adding the application logic so that the view
only redraws when necessary was a feature on the todo list, but it hasn't
made it into the app, yet.  I agree, it does result in increased battery
usage.

Pat