[Ves] Using KiwiViewer to load a DICOM file

Samuel Valdes G. sovaldes at uc.cl
Wed Jul 25 20:23:19 EDT 2012

1. First I went to the vesKiwiDataLoader.cpp file and below the line 192 I
add this code

  else if (this->hasEnding(filename, "dcm"))

  {

      vtkSmartPointer<vtkDICOMImageReader> reader =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkDICOMImageReader>::New();

      reader->SetFileName(filename.c_str());

      //return 0;

      this->datasetFromAlgorithm(reader);

  }

2. Then I added in the include area the vtkDICOMImageReader.h. In the line
27, I put

#include <vtkDICOMImageReader.h>

3. Afterwards I add DICOM file to the data folder (located in
/path/to/VES/Apps/iOS/Kiwi/Kiwi/Data) and I drag it to my project. The name
of my file is test.dcm

4. The I went to the vesKiwiViewer.cpp file and I add an option to open my
DICOM file in the dataset. I wrote in the line 192

this->addBuiltinDataset("Test", "test.dcm");

5. After that I compiled again in the mac terminal the ves-ios-simulator
and ves-ios-device folders (make ves-ios-simulator and make ves-ios-device)
in the /path/to//VES/Apps/iOS/CMakeBuild/build/CMakeExternals/Build path
and the I compiled all the kiwi project again.

Now the problem that I am having is that I am having a *memory acces problem
* when I tried to open the new file in the simulator. As I checkes, the
problem is related with the *datasetFromAlgorithm,* which is not letting me
to render the DICOM image. The error that I am having is in the
vtkPolyData.h at the line 78, when the program is trying to convert de
DICOM dataset to a vtkPolyData.

Do you have any solution for this?

Best Regards,

Samuel