[Ves] Using KiwiViewer to load a DICOM file

Pat Marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Wed Jul 25 13:42:02 EDT 2012

Hi Samuel,

The KiwiViewer app for Android and iPad does not have support for DICOM,
however, the VTK library that the app is based on does have DICOM I/O
support, so it should be straightforward to add a DICOM reader to
KiwiViewer.  In theory, it should work with just a small amount of
additional code, but I have not tried it.

If you decide to try yourself, first make sure you can build and run
KiwiViewer on your device.  Next, edit the file
src/kiwi/vesKiwiDataLoader.cpp.  Search for vtkXMLImageDataReader and
you'll see the code that handles vtk image files (.vti extension.)  You
could insert similar code here to read DICOM files using the
vtkDICOMImageReader.

Pat