[Ves] Running Kiwi viewer on Android

Pat Marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Wed Apr 11 15:08:10 EDT 2012

Hi Shash,

It's actually not possible to run KiwiViewer in the android emulator.  The
emulator does not have OpenGL ES 2.0 support.  The app should work on your
phone though.  Are you able to run KiwiViewer from the Android market?

Now- the problem may be with using the NDK v7.  We recently updated the
toolchain file used for compiling KiwiViewer with NDK v7 and v7b, this
update occured on April 4th.  Prior to this update, you will have to use
NDK v6:

   http://dl.google.com/android/ndk/android-ndk-r6-darwin-x86.tar.bz2

If you change NDK versions, you may only have to recompile KiwiViewer in
Apps/Android/KiwiViewer, not vtk and ves, since the important fix is for
linking the JNI library for the Java app.

Regarding a wiki walkthrough, we'd love to write this.  In the meantime,
please don't hesitate to ask questions on the list, we're happy to help you
work through app design ideas.

Pat