[Rtk-users] Physical interpretation of the input and output images when doing a forward projection

Simon Rit simon.rit at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Fri Oct 19 08:35:28 EDT 2018

Hi Estelle,
Forward projection simply takes the line integrals of your volume. So 3D
images have to represent the physical quantity you want to integrate. For
x-ray imaging, you generally want to have linear attenuation coefficient.
But for PET or SPECT, that would be the emission map in counts per voxel.
In your case, if you want to compute I0*exp(-projection), then it seems
that you're dealing with x-rays and the projection should be the line
integral of the linear attenuation coefficient.
As we point out on the wiki page, integrating HUs makes no physical sense
so you need to convert the input volume or the output projections (since
the operation is linear) before taking the exp.
For the Shepp Logan, be aware that the densities in the text file is to be
understood in the additive sense. So if you have a -0.1 ellipsoid in a
larger 1. ellipsoid, then its density will be 0.9. Use
rtkdrawshepploganphantom to verify what are the actual densities.
Best regards,
Simon