[Paraview] Catalyst distributed graph example

Jeff Baumes jeff.baumes at kitware.com
Wed Sep 13 12:15:26 EDT 2017

vtkMutableDirectedGraph
<https://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkMutableDirectedGraph.html>
has an API that is hopefully pretty intuitive with AddVertex, AddEdge, etc.
You can also shallow-copy from the mutable graph into a DAG object, which
performs a check, if it is important to verify you made a proper DAG. From
the vtkDirectedAcyclicGraph docs
<https://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkDirectedAcyclicGraph.html> (I
noticed some typos here, should read "DAG" instead of "tree"):

=====
vtkDirectedAcyclicGraph is a read-only data structure. To construct a tree,
create an instance of vtkMutableDirectedGraph. Add vertices and edges with
AddVertex() and AddEdge(). You may alternately start by adding a single
vertex as the root then call graph->AddChild(parent) which adds a new
vertex and connects the parent to the child. The tree MUST have all edges
in the proper direction, from parent to child. After building the tree,
call tree->CheckedShallowCopy(graph) to copy the structure into a
vtkDirectedAcyclicGraph. This method will return false if the graph is an
invalid tree.
=====

As for rendering in ParaView, you the following example shows how to use
vtkGraphToPolyData, but this is not exposed in ParaView to my knowledge, I
think you would need a plugin, or preprocess the graph into a vtkPolyData,
save it, then load into ParaView.

https://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Graphs/GraphToPolyData

Embedding from higher-dimensional coordinates into 2D or 3D does not have a
VTK implementation that I know of, though PCA in VTK may be able to be
used. If you want to do layout based on edge connectivity, there are some graph
layout algorithms
<https://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkGraphLayoutStrategy.html> in
VTK that could get you 2D or 3D coordinates.

HTH,
Jeff