[Paraview] paraview osmesa render on supercomputer nodes

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Mon Nov 20 12:30:28 EST 2017

---

This syntax isn't clear to me:
> srun -n 24 pvserver -sp=15801 --mesa --use-offscreen-rendering
--disable-xdisplay-test
---ssh -N -f -L15801:localhost:15801 though internal connection-->
Where are you trying to run ssh on to open up this second (between login
and compute) tunnel?

---
ERROR: In /HOME/pp569/soft/ParaView-v5.4.1/VTK/Common/System/vtkSocket.cxx,
line 206
vtkServerSocket (0x20e9c20): Socket error in call to bind. Address already
in use.

Indicates that pvserver is trying to grab a socket that some other process
owns. You might be competing with one of your other pvserver processes
(from an earlier run or perhaps a misconfigured non-mpi pvserver task
running on the same node from this srun invocation) or possibly your ssh
tunnel process.

---

Forward connections from desktop to login to compute are harder to setup in
most cases because in general you don't know what compute node (and
sometimes login node) you will get.

---

I recommend using something simple like netcat to send and receive messages
across each tunnel. If you can type on one side and see the text on the
other, then paraview should be able to use the connection.

---

Please let us know how it goes. We would love to see ParaView running on
Tianhe-2!

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer