[Paraview] [EXTERNAL] Re: pvbatch

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Wed Nov 15 12:46:47 EST 2017

Alan,

You should be able to run

pvpython --force-offscreen-rendering script.py

and no render window will appear. The help for --force-offscreen-rendering
says:

  "If supported by the build and platform, create headless (offscreen)
render windows for rendering results."

I believe this should work on linux systems, but you should try it out on
the system on which you want to force offscreen rendering just to be sure
before using it to produce classified images.

pvbatch running the same script will indeed not pop up a render window even
without the --force-offscreen-rendering option.

Let us know how it goes,
Cory

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 5:04 PM, Scott, W Alan <wascott at sandia.gov> wrote:

> Ben,
> I believe this is a change from the past.  Here is what I desire – how do
> I get it?
>
> I want to run pv(pythonScript).  I want it to produce output.  I want it
> to run off screen, not showing on the console display or current display.
> This is especially important on classified systems.  MPI is not available.
>
> Not too long ago, my understanding was this was pvbatch.  pvpython used
> either the console display or current display as it’s rendering space.
> This does not catch my needs.
>
> Alan
>
> On 11/13/17, 9:04 AM, "Ben Boeckel" <ben.boeckel at kitware.com> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 22:42:29 +0000, Scott, W Alan wrote:
>     > What are the magic cmake switches, for superbuild, that are used to
>     > build a non MPI, Mesa version of pvbatch?  Where is this documented?
>
>     pvpython is the non-MPI version of pvbatch. The superbuild docs could
>     probably be improved here. Currently, the mention is:
>
>         ParaView supports multiple rendering engines including `egl`,
>         `mesa`, `osmesa`, and `qt5`. All of these are incompatible with
> each
>         other. If none of these are chosen, a UI-less ParaView will be
> built
>         (basically just `pvpython`). On Windows and macOS, only the `qt5`
>         rendering engine is available.
>
>     --Ben

> opensource/opensource.html

Cory Quammen