[Paraview] How to create a 2D map of a 3D shear stress calculation

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Nov 13 00:12:54 EST 2017

Parastou,

Your question involves a rather complex and domain-specific visualization technique. I’m not sure I totally understand what your data look like, but I assume you have something like a 3D volume of sampled data such as CT scans that contain what can be identified as arterial tubes. I don’t know much about your problem domain, but it sounds like you are referring to a “Curved Planar Reformation” technique, which I’ve read about in papers like this one by Michelle Borkin: https://vcglab.org/gvi-files/borkin-InfoVis2011_camera-ready.pdf.

Curved Planar Reformation is a complex, multi-step process that involves identifying where the arteries are, extracting the centerline around the tubes, taking slices along the center line, and finding the arterial wall from there. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge ParaView does not contain an implementation of this process (unless someone else on the mailing list chimes in).

My advice would be to contact the authors of the aforementioned paper or one of the others describing Curved Planar Reformation and ask them about the implementation. Perhaps they will have some software examples that can work.

I suspect that to get this to work in ParaView you will have to introduce your own implementation of Curved Planar Reformation. If you want to pursue this route, you could implement it as a VTK filter and expose it as a ParaView plugin or cram the code into a programmable filter.

-Ken