[Paraview] Visualization of time course data with legacy vtk format

James Thunes j.thunes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 14:04:20 EDT 2017

Hello all,

Sometime between v5.1 and the latest version (v.5.4.1) the handling of
legacy vtk files changed.

I use paraview to visualize FE data that I've written in the legacy vtk
format. Data is written with a separate file for each time step. The naming
convention is: FileXXXX.vtk with XXXX the step number.

When I click the open dialog with the latest version, I no longer see the
files grouped as a file series (as described in this page from the
wiki: Animating
legacy VTK file series
<https://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Animating_legacy_VTK_file_series>).

Is this new behavior expected, and if so, is there an alternative way to
visualize time series data?

Thanks,
James