[Paraview] Paraview Web on Ubuntu with gpu but without screen

Scott Wittenburg scott.wittenburg at kitware.com
Wed Sep 7 12:05:12 EDT 2016

Hi Daniel,

   I have several thoughts after reading your email, though I'm not sure
how helpful they may be.  First, the error you reported doesn't sound (to
me) like the typical error you might see when you do not have your graphics
environment configured properly.  I assume that even without a display you
are setting up an X server and making sure to set the DISPLAY environment
variable before running the script?  Even though you are not using EC2,
some of the information at the link below could pertain to your situation:

http://kitware.github.io/paraviewweb/docs/guides/graphics_on_ec2_g2.html

hopefully that gets you pointed in the right direction.

   Another thing to note: I don't believe that the pv_web_visualizer python
script is included in ParaView anymore, though I don't recall exactly when
that moved (it appears you are using version 5 or above).  Now the web side
of ParaView has moved into various other github repositories:

Core Libraries: https://github.com/Kitware/paraviewweb
Web Visualizer Application: https://github.com/Kitware/visualizer

   These days you will find the equivalent of the pv_web_visualizer.py
script in the above repo (located under "server/pvw-visualizer.py").

   However, if you do indeed have the python script in the location stated
in your email, then I'm not sure what could be causing the apparent json
error you mentioned.  Normally though, one might have provided some
arguments to that python script in the use case it seems you are targeting,
although perhaps you just left them out when composing your email.  For
example, if you did not provide a "--content" argument, specifying the path
to the static content you are serving, are you managing that another way?

   Feel free to post more information such as the complete command line you
are invoking, how you are connecting from your browser (assuming you get
that far), or perhaps more error output if there is any.

   Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Scott