[Paraview] [ParaView] How to add thickness to each slice when generating a 3D model

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue May 10 12:20:55 EDT 2016

I think we need more information before we can answer your questions.

Your first question was how to “add thickness” to image slices. If you have image slices, you usually want to load them in as a 3D stack and treat them like a volume. The spacing between the slices is typically specified by the data file itself or by an option in the reader (of which there are almost 100 different types in ParaView). So how you do that depends on your data format.

You simply said that your data comes from MATLAB. That’s not very specific, since it is possible to output lots of different types of files from MATLAB. If you are not doing it yet, you might consider this MATLAB module that writes out VTK files (which ParaView handles very well): http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/47814-export-3d-data-to-paraview-in-vtk-legacy-file-format . I haven’t used it myself (I use MATLAB very infrequently), but it looks pretty full featured. You might want to check that out.

You also mentioned that the image segmentation is represented by masks. The easiest way to deal with that is probably to use the Threshold filter to remove all cells that are masked out.

-Ken