[Paraview] [EXTERNAL] Client-server mode fails with 5.0.1

Paul Melis paul.melis at surfsara.nl
Mon Jun 27 11:37:44 EDT 2016

On 06/27/2016 05:29 PM, Paul Melis wrote:
> On 04/19/2016 01:04 PM, Paul Melis wrote:
>> Hi Utkarsh,

>>> Paul, can you try with ParaView 5.0.0 and 4.4 binaries as well? Since
>>> those worked before, let's see if it's a NVIdia driver change that's
>>> affecting ParaView.
>>
>> 4.4 works without problem in client-server mode (although I can't
>> seem to get subsampled rendering during interaction working, no
>> matter what remote render settings I try). 5.0.0 shows the same
>> GLX-related issue as 5.0.1.
>>
>> It smells like an interaction between the new OpenGL2 backend and the
>> NVidia driver we use (361.28): I tested 5.0.1 on my workstation
>> (running both client and server there) with driver 364.16 and there
>> it works without a problem. A test between my workstation (PV client)
>> and a different machine (PV server) with driver 352.79 also works.
> I just tried on a node with an updated nvidia driver (367.27, latest
> for the specific model of GPU used) and get the same error on the
> server side with 5.0.1.
>
> Trying 5.1.0 (binary from paraview.org for both client and server) and
> I no longer get the error and PV seems work fine in client-server mode.
This might or might not be related, but while retesting
http://www.paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=13802 with 5.1.0 I get an error
relating to the OpenGL context on the server when switching to slice mode:

paulm at s37n2:~/software/ParaView-5.1.0-Qt4-OpenGL2-MPI-Linux-64bit/bin$
./pvserver --use-offscreen-rendering
Waiting for client...
Connection URL: cs://s37n2.int.elvis.surfsara.nl:11111
Accepting connection(s): s37n2.int.elvis.surfsara.nl:11111
Client connected.
Warning: In
/home/kitware/dashboards/buildbot/paraview-debian6dash-linux-shared-release_opengl2_qt4_superbuild/source-paraview/VTK/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
line 616
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x30b0eb0): VTK is designed to work with OpenGL
version 3.2 but it appears it has been given a context that does not
support 3.2. VTK will run in a compatibility mode designed to work with
earlier versions of OpenGL but some features may not work.

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

The supported OpenGL version is 4.2.0, so I don't understand why the
context is not 3.2 compatible:

$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation, NVIDIA Corporation
client glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 780 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 367.27

The nvidia driver used is 367.27, Debian 7.11 (wheezy), 64-bit

Paul