[Paraview] [EXTERNAL] Client-server mode fails with 5.0.1

Paul Melis paul.melis at surfsara.nl
Mon Jun 27 11:29:37 EDT 2016

On 04/19/2016 01:04 PM, Paul Melis wrote:
> Hi Utkarsh,
>
> On 18-04-16 20:04, Utkarsh Ayachit wrote:
>>> This has always worked for me with earlier versions of
>>> ParaView, but something seems to have changed. It could be the newer
>>> NVidia
>>> driver we use since a few weeks, but like I said, I don't see issues
>>> with
>>> any other OpenGL application.
>>
>> Paul, can you try with ParaView 5.0.0 and 4.4 binaries as well? Since
>> those worked before, let's see if it's a NVIdia driver change that's
>> affecting ParaView.
>
> 4.4 works without problem in client-server mode (although I can't seem
> to get subsampled rendering during interaction working, no matter what
> remote render settings I try). 5.0.0 shows the same GLX-related issue
> as 5.0.1.
>
> It smells like an interaction between the new OpenGL2 backend and the
> NVidia driver we use (361.28): I tested 5.0.1 on my workstation
> (running both client and server there) with driver 364.16 and there it
> works without a problem. A test between my workstation (PV client) and
> a different machine (PV server) with driver 352.79 also works.
I just tried on a node with an updated nvidia driver (367.27, latest for
the specific model of GPU used) and get the same error on the server
side with 5.0.1.

Trying 5.1.0 (binary from paraview.org for both client and server) and I
no longer get the error and PV seems work fine in client-server mode.

Paul