[Paraview] ParaView 5.0.0 for Windows x64 fails to open EnSight Gold files

Andrew antech777 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 01:26:00 EST 2016

Hello. We use Ansys CFX in our work but the standard post-processor
CFD-Post consumes one of Ansys licenses while Paraview is free. So I often
make pictures for reports with ParaView to preserve Ansys license for
another users/needs (because other users are not familiar with ParaView and
CFD-Post may consume general "acfd" license feature that may be used for
calculations). I convert CFX results to EnSight Gold format in CFX Solver
Manager (Export Results) and then open in ParaView. It was working well on
Linux (CentOS 6.7 x64, Ubuntu 12.04 x64 with updates) but now I work with
large files and I need to use another machine that has 128 GB of RAM and
runs Windows-7 x64.
I downloaded and installed the following version:
ParaView-5.0.0-Qt4-OpenGL2-Windows-64bit.exe
When I open my EnSight-format file I receive the error message that
geometry file cannot be read. I tried to move EnSight files to a simple
location (D:\Temp) and renamed them (test.case, test.geom + edited the case
to change geometry file name to "simple" one). The same result, it cannot
find geometry file... Full error message is as follows:

ERROR: In
C:\bbd\df0abce0\source-paraview\VTK\IO\EnSight\vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader.cxx,
line 114
vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader (0000000009451230): stat failed.

ERROR: In
C:\bbd\df0abce0\source-paraview\VTK\IO\EnSight\vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader.cxx,
line 220
vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader (0000000009451230): Unable to open file:
D:\Storage\Media\Work\Gradirni\CFX\EnSight\C-G002L3S-R020-S000-14.5\/C-G002L3S-R020-S000.geom

ERROR: In
C:\bbd\df0abce0\source-paraview\VTK\IO\EnSight\vtkEnSightReader.cxx, line
306
vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader (0000000009451230): error reading geometry file

ERROR: In
C:\bbd\df0abce0\source-paraview\VTK\Common\ExecutionModel\vtkExecutive.cxx,
line 784
vtkCompositeDataPipeline (0000000008E1A640): Algorithm
vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader(0000000009451230) returned failure for request:
vtkInformation (00000000093C3920)
  Debug: Off
  Modified Time: 214873
  Reference Count: 1
  Registered Events: (none)
  Request: REQUEST_DATA
  ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
  FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0
  FROM_OUTPUT_PORT: 0

OK, I tried to open it in ParaView 4.3. It says nothing (only border of the
message window appears) and crashes. At that moment I see in the status bar
that EnSight reader progress is 100%.

Both ParaView 5.0.0 and 4.3 was tested with EnSight files exported on Linux
and Windows machine. It didn't help.

OK, I tried to export CFX results to CGNS format. ParaView 5.0.0 (without
MPI) cannot read it, so I fed it to ParaView 4.3. It says that its "unable
to filed any meshes".

I also performed an experiment on my Linux laptop. It has only 16 GB of RAM
so its unreal to work with such a big file on this machine but it reads the
same EnSight case and displays the domain! No arrays selected (mesh only),
swap file grows up to 8 GB but the file opens without errors and crashes.
It's only a test because I have not any Linux machine with memory large
enough (our Linux cluster has 128 GB of RAM on every node including master
but it has very poor video).

I switched to CFD Post for this case but I want to know are there any
workarounds to open my EnSight-format results in ParaView for Windows.

Thanks for your attention.