[Paraview] running Paraview vis pvbatch with NO GUI - help?

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Thu Feb 25 15:32:04 EST 2016

Cynthia,

Have you had the a look at the ParaView Guide?
http://www.paraview.org/paraview-guide/
It explains the concepts of filters and the data analysis pipelines
used in ParaView.

> So, firstly – If I read in a csv series of images, one image/file per moment
> in time, when I run a filter, the filter should run on the entire series,
> correct?  But when I do this and then try to save the data – in this case, a
> series of table to points calculations, it only saves the last one.
> Ideally, I’d like to save an animation and save the data, but WITHOUT
> calling on the GUI / rendering aspects of Paraview.   Is this possible, and
> if so, how do I go about it?

So if I understand this correctly, you want to open a CSV file, apply
Table to Points filter and then save the result out
as a dataset that you can open later if needed without actually doing
any rendering?

If so something like the attached Python script will do the trick. I
generated that using Trace from the GUI, but then removed all the view
related components
since I don't care about those.

You can use the pvbatch or pvpython executable to run the Python
script without the GUI.

> Which mentions building Paraview with  OSMesa (CPU based offscreen
> rendering) enabled… sounds like what I want, but how do I go about
> determining if the version of Paraview on my system ~s~ built is this
> manner, and if indeed it is, how do I script in Python to take advantage of
> that?

This is only needed if you are intending to rendering and you don't
have an X server running on your cluster.

Utkarsh