[Paraview] Using Paraview for modeling orbital motion of many objects/database connectivity?

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Tue Feb 2 12:46:48 EST 2016

Hi Cynthia,

It's not something ParaView supports without any modifications, but it is not impossible. VTK, the toolkit ParaView is built upon, provides ways to populate tables from SQL database queries and also ways to turn those tables into polygonal datasets that can be rendered. It would take a small amount of programming to connect those two together into a ParaView pipeline object.

Depending on what's in the database, it would probably also require some filters to turn the satellite ephemera into a time-series of point coordinates for animations. I'm less certain about how much work that would be; I'm not familiar enough with orbital mechanics to know how much work that is.

	Hope that helps,
	David