[Paraview] Using Paraview for modeling orbital motion of many objects/database connectivity?

Hart, Cynthia Joyce - (cyndyb) cyndyb at email.arizona.edu
Tue Feb 2 12:26:51 EST 2016

Hi folks -

Forgive me if this question is entirely out of scope of Paraview’s capabilities, but I’m new to the software, and still learning what it can and cannot do.  I have a rather large scale project that I have been asked to look into the feasibility of.  It involves a simulation of the display of a multitude of satellite ‘and other’ objects orbiting the Earth, with the correct orbital motions, and in an animated display, no less.  Due to the number of objects, I have the idea in mind that a database of some sort is the best way to store the information of the objects, and have whatever is driving the simulation call on that database.  I have no idea if Paraview could be - or has been - used with a database.  Is this at all do-able with Paraview?  And if not, what do you think I ought to be considering, for something of this scope?

Thanks much,

Cynthia