[Paraview] ParaView over the internet

Patrick Bégou Patrick.Begou at legi.grenoble-inp.fr
Fri Aug 12 04:11:31 EDT 2016

Hi Fan,

at work we are using paraview remotely efficiently by two ways:

- from a cluster: launching pvserver (using mpi for large datasets) and
connecting from a laptop/desktop paraview session. This requires very
small network bandwith (tested from my home via ADSL for a 1024³
dataset) but should require additional work to go through firewall via a
ssh tunnel.

- from a fat node (many cores, huge memory and high end graphic board)
with vnc (for remote display). The fat node run vncserver
(tigervnc-server) and vncviewer is launched on the laptop/desktop. There
are options for easy tunnelling via ssh. This also requires very few
network bandwidth and use the remote hardware rendering of the fat node
(AMD in our case or Nvidia+virtualGL). You can launch a basic paraview
session or a pvserver/paraview session to run pvserver with MPI on
several cores.
More simple to set up and to use.

Hope this could help you.

Patrick