[Paraview] paraview for a "new" application

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Jun 18 21:18:26 EDT 2015

I vote for hdf5 backed xdmf. hdf5 is performant, widely adopted and there
are many tools that understand it.

The xdmf layer is, at least in concept, very lightweight (it is just text
that translates the hdf5 arrays into something that VTK understands) and in
the use cases its developers made it for, very performant. The problem with
xdmf is that it is inconsistently developed and maintained by a few
occasional developers.

The good news is that:
a) xdmf is open source and contributions in the form of code or
documentation are invited
b) dedicated support for xdmf if just a kitware support contrac
<http://www.kitware.com/products/support.html>t away
c) no longer strictly necessary to get data into ParaView with. See Berk
Geveci's excellent article on how to use python to directly ingest hdf5
data for example, or consider a newer high level interface to hdf5 backed
data like netcdf4 or exodusII on top of netcdf4.

hope that helps

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer