[Paraview] Using SpatioTemporalParallelism plugin in ParaView

Krishna Pai krishnapai09 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 12:30:01 EDT 2015

Thanks for the reply, Menno. I tried doing that before, but I got a
segmentation fault due to a missing filename, and I'm not sure where in the
function call for CreateReader I would put a file name or what file name I
should use. I ended up getting the following error message along with 2
slight variations on it, followed by the segmentation fault message:

ERROR: In
/lustre/cmf/scratch/k/kpai/projects/ParaView-v4.3.1-source/VTK/IO/Xdmf2/vtkXdmfReader.cxx,
line 189
vtkXdmfReader (0x48997f0): File name not set

ERROR: In
/lustre/cmf/scratch/k/kpai/projects/ParaView-v4.3.1-source/VTK/Common/ExecutionModel/vtkExecutive.cxx,
line 784
vtkPVCompositeDataPipeline (0x489fe20): Algorithm
vtkFileSeriesReader(0x489de90) returned failure for request: vtkInformation
(0x4891ab0)
  Debug: Off
  Modified Time: 165325
  Reference Count: 1
  Registered Events: (none)
  Request: REQUEST_DATA_OBJECT
  FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0
  ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1

Unless there's a bug in the plugin, I don't think this should be happening
if I input the required information correctly. Here's what I did:

1. I opened the xdmf file in ParaView and added a ParallelImageDataWriter
to it in the pipeline. In the File Name field of ParallelImageDataWriter, I
entered output%t.pvti. I expect the output files to be in this form if I
understand what ParallelImageDataWriter does correctly.

2. I exported state from the SpatioTemporal menu. As my xdmf file was the
only file in the pipeline, I simply added it.

3. Next, as the xdmf file gets its data from binary files in a separate
directory, I entered the file path to those files in the file location
field (i.e. <path>/NeptuneData_2015-07-28/0000/f*.bin). I think this is
where the plugin will get its data (this may be where the problem is).

4. Finally, I chose not to output images, entered a time compartment size
of 4, and chose a location to save the generated python script.

Obviously, the generated script contained the fileinfo=<path> argument in
the CreateReader call among other issues, and I just want to understand
what's going wrong. As always, any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Krishna Pai

--
          1   1