[Paraview] ParaView Llvm on Supercomputer

Noah Taylor haonrolyat at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 15:16:48 EDT 2015

Hi All,

I have worked with one of the IT persons to finally be able to use the
capabilities of ParaView to capture a high resolution image of each time
step at the end of my model run on a supercomputer. The problem that I am
seeing is that Llvm is taking quite some time per rendered image. I
currently only have 1 node with 8 cores that I use to my disposal. I run
the script using pvbatch and the xmf read to get like 10 images in 10
minutes.

I am asking my IT guy to try and redo the compile so that it enables MPI so
I can take advantage of multiple cores. Has any one else tried using Llvm
with pvbatch to save out an image per time step? I saw the graph here -
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/ParaView_And_Mesa_3D
- that talks about having 8 - 10 cores seems to be efficient.

Would it make sense to span Llvm across mutlple nodes / would it be
quicker? Thanks for any input - I am just a little confused on how pvbatch
would work between multiple nodes / what command to use.

Thanks,
Noah