[Paraview] memory load on client when running on server

jean mensa jmensa at rsmas.miami.edu
Thu Jun 19 17:10:25 EDT 2014

The server has about 16GB of ram, while the client has 8GB. I am loading
only one array and I am starting the server with a simple 'pvserver' then I
establish the connection manually from PV which I start simply calling
'paraview'.

--enable-bt is not a valid option but dmesg does show a segfault:
at-spi-bus-laun[17239]:
segfault at 968 ip 0000003e4e425321 sp 00007fff9770a040 error 4 in
libX11.so.6.3.0
I don't think that this can be the problem though because the same
excessive memory load happens on the client mac with no crash and a
different version of X (XQuartz).

in the case of remote rendering I should see a black window coming from
pvserver where the dataset should be displayed, right? well I see the
window but nothing gets rendered on it... if remote rendering is disabled
do I still see the window?