[Paraview] memory load on client when running on server

jean mensa jmensa at rsmas.miami.edu
Thu Jun 19 16:26:53 EDT 2014

it's the crash. The server loads about 8GB of data and then it idles. The
status bar also shows that the vtkUnstructuredGridReader is loading the
dataset and it reaches 100% without giving any errors. The problem seems to
be displaying the data...

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 4:17 PM, Burlen Loring <bloring at lbl.gov> wrote:

> The server seems to load the dataset properly but no image is shown on
the client.

> OK, so is this the crash or a new issue? If there's no image how could
you tell the server loaded the dataset correctly?

> On 06/19/2014 12:53 PM, jean mensa wrote:
>
> same result. I disabled multicore and I was already using 0MB remote
rendering threshold. I have tried with paraview on both linux and macosx.
The server seems to load the dataset properly but no image is shown on the
client.

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Burlen Loring <bloring at lbl.gov> wrote:
>>
>> Ug. you're using the multicore option to start the servers! I believe
that this forces remote rendering off. That would explain your issues.
Could you try duisabling the multi core option and start your servers
manually?

>> On 06/19/2014 12:29 PM, Burlen Loring wrote:
>>
>> OK, one possibility is that it may be related to remote rendering
settings. Under menu Edit->Settings->Render View->Server there is a remote
render threshold. I always set this to 0 bytes to ensure remote parallel
rendering. What's yours set to?

>> On 06/19/2014 12:18 PM, jean mensa wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, I didn't explain it properly. I have already tried to connect to
a pvserver from a GUI running on the client (without an ssh connection
then) but it also drains the memory on Xorg. What is the load supposed to
be on a client-pvserver connection?
>> Thanks,
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Burlen Loring <bloring at lbl.gov> wrote:
>>>
>>> Jean,
>>>
>>> What you describe is expected. X forwarding doesn't work well for
visualizing large datasets. The point is : don't use X forwarding. The
links show how to configure the client server connection without X
forwarding. Make sure that there is no -X on the ssh command line.

>>> Burlen
>>>

>>> On 06/19/2014 11:46 AM, jean mensa wrote:
>>>
>>> When I do that Xorg process on the client drains the memory up until it
crashes. The connection I think is properly established since it works fine
for smaller datasets. What should the load on the client be in that case?

system. This includes data like vertices and colors as well. X forwarding
doesn't give good performance and with large data it may not even be
feasible.

points) which I am visualizing on a remote server. I am running the
paraview GUI (with the multicore option) on the server and I connect to it
via ssh sharing the X server. In this way I can control the GUI running on
the serve. I thought that with this configuration I would only receive a
screenshot of the window and no actual data from paraview but the client
seems to share at least some of the load of the visualization. Is this the
expected behaviour? How can I avoid loading data on the client side?

http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView