[Paraview] ParaView + Catalyst - effort estimation (UNCLASSIFIED)

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Mon Aug 4 21:13:50 EDT 2014

Hi Simon,

It can be a fairly wide range to do that. I was able to do it for Chris
Kees' Proteus code in an hour. But he already had VTK data structures
created for his own internal in situ stuff and it was with Python so even
compilation issues were very easy (also, we sat down together to do it so
all of the knowledge was there). I generally try to allocate two weeks to
do that assuming that I'll do a decent amount of the work figuring out the
simulation code on my own as well as waiting some for answers to emails. If
the code isn't "cmakeified" then it also adds a bit of time to it as well.
If you're not that familiar with the simulation code I suggest focusing on
the part of the code that writes out the simulation information (grid and
fields) to files. That generally has all of the information you need to
know in order to create the VTK data structures to represent their data
structures.

Regards,
Andy