[Paraview] ParaView + Catalyst - effort estimation (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tim Gallagher tim.gallagher at gatech.edu
Mon Aug 4 16:41:40 EDT 2014

Hi Simon,

I've gone through the process myself and it actually was not that painful, but how long it takes will depend on how familiar you are with VTK already. It's almost trivial if your code's data structures already use VTK. If they don't, then it's a matter of translating your data into the VTK data structures which isn't too bad in Python.

Our code is in Fortran and is a parallel, finite volume, structured, multi-block code. So in some ways it's a bit easier to define the data structures in VTK as they are structured and I don't need to worry about connectivity. I wrote the wrappers and interface code in less than a week with no prior knowledge of VTK but a very strong desire to make it work :) This was a few years back when the documentation on Catalyst wasn't very mature so it was probably harder than it would have been now.

I can't be any more specific or give you advice on how long it will take with your code, but it was much easier than I expected it to be when I did it.

Tim