[Paraview] Extracting closed surfaces from an isosurface

Tim Gallagher tim.gallagher at gatech.edu
Fri Aug 1 16:56:54 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I am working on a programmable filter and I want to extract and analyze data generated by an isosurface. I'm having a hard time coming up with generic data to represent what I mean, but I'll try to describe it.

I run my data and generate an isosurface for a single value. The resulting isosurface generates disconnected/independent blobs in space. I've attached an image of what it looks like. I would like to take each of those independent surfaces and manipulate them (compute volume of each, or maximum cross sectional area, or find a central axis, or delete them based on the computed volume, etc) but I can't figure out how to extract the data I need through VTK. I have the vtkPolyData array as well as the normals array, but I cannot figure out how to use that information to isolate and extract the independent surfaces.

Does anybody have any suggestions or examples I can look at on how to manipulate the data?

Thanks,

Tim