[Paraview] running paraview in parallel with a batch script/MPI

Pat Marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Wed Feb 13 02:31:17 EST 2013

Hi Rich,

The command line will be:

mpirun -np 1 /path/to/pvbatch /path/to/script.py

The pvbatch executable is similar to pvserver, except proc 0 doesn't wait
for a client connection, it reads the python script specified on the
command line and executes the script as if it were instructions from a
client.  The script will be read and interpreted on proc 0, but the
processing will be carried out by all the satellite procs, just like
pvserver.

I'd recommend starting with a script that is very simple, like:

# testSphere.py

from paraview.simple import *

Sphere()
writer = XMLPPolyDataWriter(FileName='sphere.pvtp')
writer.UpdatePipeline()

Try getting that to work using -np 1, then try -np 2, you should find
pieces of there sphere written by both processes.

Pat

p.s. If your data is unstructured grid, then your writer would be a
XMLPUnstructuredGridWriter.  Also, I'm not sure if the name should be
"XMLP..." or "XMLPartitioned..."