[Paraview] Visualization of principle stresses

gebbi86 gebbi86 at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 9 07:40:40 EST 2012

Dear all,

i want to visualize the directions of principle stresses computed by a
finite element solver in paraview. I got the directions of these stresses
as vectors. I used the legacy vtk file format. I choosed the unstructured
grid dataset with triangle elements for the grid(as they are in the FE
solver). For the vectors i choosed CELL_DATA and every cell got an vector.
I used the glyph filter to visualize these vectors ( CELL CENTERS-> GLYPH),
but is there an other possibility to do that? Not as arrows or so, but to
get a result like streamtracers? Interpolated lines? Streamtracers doesnt
work here, because i think they have a direction and the principle stresses
have no direction. I tried the Surface LIC representation, but i got no
other result as with the surface representation.
To cut a long story short: I have vectors as CELL_DATA and a unstructured
grid and i want to visualize them as closed lines over the grid. And not
with the glyph filter, that works but I would prefer this other
representation.
I'm new in paraview so i hope you can help me with this topic and I'm
looking forward for your answers.

Greetings,
Eric