[Paraview] Doubt regarding the installation of Paraview in Unix like systems.

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohio.edu
Wed Oct 26 13:01:43 EDT 2011

On 10/26/2011 11:09 AM, Sriram Ragav wrote:
> Dear Jean,
>
> I ahve downloaded and installed a newer version in a separate folder.
> The installation guide says "Use ccmake (Curses CMake GUI) from the CMake
> installed location. CCMake is a Curses based GUI for CMake. To run it go to
> the build directory and specify as an argument the src directory".
>
> I am not sure what it means.
> I have used the same set of commands  available.  But still only cmake
> version 2.6 is called.  Can you pls explain me what the sentence means!!

I usually do this:

cd ~/ # Go to my home directory
# Download CMake source
wget http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/cmake-2.8.6.tar.gz
tar -xzvf cmake-2.8.6.tar.gz # Extract CMake
mkdir cmake-2.8.6_build # make a cmake build directory
cd cmake-2.8.6_build # go into the build directory
ccmake ../cmake-2.8.6 # configure cmake with system cmake
make -j8 # build cmake in parallel
# you can run it from the build directory without installing

cd ~/ # Go to my home directory
# Download ParaView source
wget http://paraview.org/files/v3.12/ParaView-3.12.0-RC2.tar.gz
tar -xzvf ParaView-3.12.0-RC2.tar.gz # extract paraview
mkdir ParaView-3.12.0-RC2_build # make a ParaView build directory
cd ParaView-3.12.0-RC2_build/ # go into the build directory

# now this is the part where you seem to be confused
# configure ParaView with the CMake we just built
../cmake-2.8.6_build/bin/ccmake ../ParaView-3.12.0-RC2
make -j8 # build ParaView in parallel
bin/paraview # run paraview from the build directory