[Paraview] confused with getting nan values in plot over line

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Oct 17 12:48:45 EDT 2011

I'm not familier with the term P1-discontinuous.  Is that the same as not C0 continuous (or simply not continuous)?

If so, then yes that is a problem.  The VTK data sets do not directly represent discontinuous interpolated fields.  The only way to do it is how you describe.  Replicate the point so that two distinct field values can be placed at the same coordinates.  But, as you discovered, this means that the connectivity cannot be represented, which can foul up some operations like finding a cell.

I know of no simple away around the problem.  You would need a different cell locator that used a different slower but more reliable search.

-Ken