[Paraview] Use existing texture map for 3D surface

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Mon Apr 19 20:02:30 EDT 2010

Hey Olumide,

Well, this script works for taking two attribute arrays which contain the U and V coordinates for the texture maps and puts them together into a single two-component array, adds that array as a new vector attribute of the polydata, and then tells the system that this array should be used as texture coordinates (rather than just any old two-component array).

What you will need to do depends on what form your data is already in, and whether you already have texture coordinates. Do you already have them, or do you just have a mesh that you want to texture?

Once you have the texture coordinates generated and applied correctly, (you can try this in ParaView by creating a Sphere Source and then running the Texture Map To Sphere filter to generate texture coordinates for it), then in the Display tab of the Object Inspector, under the Color section, the Apply Texture combo box should be enabled and you can use this to pull down to Load... to read in your texture image and apply it to your surface. (If you also want the texture to be colored by a color map, the trick is to uncheck Interpolate Scalars after choosing an array in "Color by".)

So, if this doesn't answer your questions you'll have to let us know more specifically what you are starting with.

Talk to you later,
-Eric