[Paraview] difference of two data sets

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Fri Apr 2 14:43:23 EDT 2010

Hey Xunlei,

So, you probably know that you can just highlight both data sets and then apply the Python Programmable Filter (PPF) and it will take multiple inputs.

If you are working from CVS ParaView compiled with Python support and have Numpy installed, you can compare attributes of two data sets with the same geometry by putting something like this in the PPF script pane:

elev0 = inputs[0].PointData['Elevation']
elev1 = inputs[1].PointData['Elevation']
output.PointData.append(elev1 - elev0, 'difference')

Here I had two cones that each had the Elevation filter applied. If I had two cones, one of which is a linearly transformed version of the other, I could get the difference vectors for each of the points like this:

pts0 = inputs[0].Points
pts1 = inputs[1].Points
output.PointData.append(pts1-pts0,'translation')

I'm still not up on all of the new API for this, so Berk can fill in more, but maybe that can get you started?

Regarding getting a vector from the individual components, you can use the Calculator filter with something like this as the equation:

vx*iHat + vy*jHat + vz*kHat

and it will create a three-component vector result. Then, you can glyph the data with arrows which are oriented along those vectors.

Talk to you later,
-Eric