[Paraview] Trouble making simple VTK filter plugin

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 09:30:27 EDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 8:59 AM, Jérôme <jerome.velut at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
> I have to expose a lot of native VTK filters that are not in ParaView. I
> never had to use a CMakeLists and a _GUI XML. In my mind, your input
> properties should be totally described in your ICP. xml file. For example on
> how to write proxy property elements, you should take a look at
> Paraview3/Servers/ServerManagers/Resources/filtering.xml. It was sufficient
> for me for many VTK filters, before I bought for the Paraview book.
>
> steps:
>    - write your xml description of the wanted VTK filter
>    - run ParaView
>    - Tools -> Manage Plugin/Extension
>    - "Load New"
>    - choose "Files of type" -> *.xml
>    - pick your file -> OK
>
> Then your filter should appear in the filters list.
>
> Hope that helps
> Jerome
>
> (Attached is an example of how I expose vtkImageMathematic to Paraview.)

Jerome,

Thanks for the example. It is really nice not having to write the GUI
manually, in most cases this automatic window that pops up should be
sufficient. Is there any advantage of compiling into a library before

I tried to modify your file into my ICP filter. However, when I try to
load my modified version, Paraview simply crashes as soon as I select
the ICP filter from the filters menu. The only changes I made were to
change the input types from vtkImageData to vtkDataSet and remove the
rest of the properties, leaving only Source and Target. I tried
port_index of the second input as 0 and 1 (what does this actually
do?) with no change. Would you mind taking a look at the attached
file?

Thanks,

David