[Paraview] inquiries on parallel pvserver nodes

yewyong uyong81 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 06:01:57 EDT 2009

Hi Ken and All,

i've solved the problem with my openmpi build.
below are an example of it.

yewyong at vrc1:~/installer/mpi_test> mpirun -np 14 -machinefile quad
./hello_parallel
hello_parallel.cc: Number of tasks=14 My rank=5 My name=vrcwr220.
hello_parallel.cc: Number of tasks=14 My rank=7 My name=pc249.
hello_parallel.cc: Number of tasks=14 My rank=9 My name=pc205.
hello_parallel.cc: Number of tasks=14 My rank=1 My name=vrc1.
hello_parallel.cc: Number of tasks=14 My rank=3 My name=vrc1.
hello_parallel.cc: Number of tasks=14 My rank=10 My name=pc226.
hello_parallel.cc: Number of tasks=14 My rank=13 My name=vrcwr228.
hello_parallel.cc: Number of tasks=14 My rank=0 My name=vrc1.
hello_parallel.cc: Number of tasks=14 My rank=4 My name=vrcwr220.
hello_parallel.cc: Number of tasks=14 My rank=2 My name=vrc1.
hello_parallel.cc: Number of tasks=14 My rank=8 My name=pc205.
hello_parallel.cc: Number of tasks=14 My rank=6 My name=pc249.
hello_parallel.cc: Number of tasks=14 My rank=12 My name=vrcwr228.
hello_parallel.cc: Number of tasks=14 My rank=11 My name=pc226.

however, my problem still exist. my paraview doesn't seems to give any
response when i'm trying to connect
to the pvserver.
*
Starts the pvserver*
yewyong at vrc1:~/installer/mpi_test> mpirun -np 14 -machinefile quad pvserver
--use-offscreen-rendering
Listen on port: 11111
Waiting for client...
Client connected.

*And the client shows....*
yewyong at pc226:~> paraview
Waiting for server...

and the paraview "hangs" with a "choose server" window. (no buttons are
functioning)
i had to go to the konsole to "ctrl+c" to actually exit the paraview.

I tried having different sequence in machinefile to check whether it's the
problem with different IP domain

*my machine file (quad):*
202.185.77.110 slots=4 max-slots=4 (master node with 2 ethernet port;
another is 192.168 seires)
192.168.0.220 slots=2 max-slots=2
192.168.0.205 slots=2 max-slots=2
192.168.0.249 slots=2 max-slots=2
202.185.77.219 slots=2 max-slots=2
202.185.77.220 slots=2 max-slots=2

as per my findings, paraview will have problem connecting to pvserver
whenever pvserver is build from nodes
from different IP domain.

ps, even with hamachi (vpn), when each nodes are having 5.xx.xx.xx series as
IP, the problem persists.

sorry for the lengthy "story telling" mail.

appreciate all the help i can get.

Thanks in advance.

yewyong