[Paraview] new thread: Live Data does update but doesn't refresh

Fabian Wein fabian.wein at am.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Oct 12 12:39:42 EDT 2009

Thanks to David's help I come to a certain extend to an extension of my
reader to do live updates.

Background:

I want to to in-situ optimization, on request the optimization shall be
restarted with new parameters and I want to see the most current result.

The optimization results are interpreted as a FEM time series where an
interation is expressed by a time step.

* I start reading a time series (0...100)
  and give this back by RequestInformation.

* Assume the users sees time step 2

* No I start new optimization and my reader thread.
 - The thread within my reader reads the current iteration data.
 - I want to force Paraview to display the most current data.
 - The actual time step number/ value displayed within paraview is
   irrelevant for me as long as the image is ok.

* My thread calls Modified() and after that Update()
  - This leads to a call of RequestInformation() and RequestData().
  - Here I'm lost: I tried several things but nothing is repainted.
  - When I increase the timestep in the visualization with the mouse,
    the data returned by the last RequestData() is displayed.

But how can i force Paraview to display the new data after RequestData
without my mouse interaction?

Shall I return a different time range within RequestInformation() ?

I'm working on this for two days now - having no progress but I'm sure
it is easy ... * please help ! * :))

Fabian