[Paraview] extract surface of multiblock mesh

Chris Kees christopher.e.kees at usace.army.mil
Mon Mar 30 15:06:34 EDT 2009

Thanks for  the help. I also tried suggestions from Paul, Ken, and
Berk, but it does seem that I'm stuck right now unless I provide
ParaView with more information. Since streamlines are computed
correctly on the current multiblock mesh I just generated the mesh on
a single processor and used ExtractSurface->Clip on that mesh to
visualize the geometry around the streamlines from the multiblock grid.

On the first method: Each of my UnstructuredGrids in the Multiblock
Grid is a subdomain in an overlapping decomposition of the domain.
Each of the subdomains has several elements of overlap (the layer of
ghost cells is more than one element thick).  Presumably the
streamline generation works now on the multiblock grid because the
overlap is loaded into ParaView. Is there a way I can just set a cell-
centered attributed to identify the ghost cells so that surface
extraction and volume visualization will work too?  Currently volume
visualization of the multiblock grid shows only a single subdomain and
volume visualization after MergeBlocks shows the whole domain but with
overlap regions being more opaque.

On your other method, we have both the external boundary mesh and a
pre-mesh polygonal representation of the boundaries available in the
simulator. You are suggesting that I just dump one of those to a valid
ParaView format as well, is that correct?

Chris