[Paraview] Two follow-up questions on readers

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Fri Mar 27 09:04:19 EDT 2009

> 1) How do I populate GUI-Elements with data read from a file.
>   The ParaView book mentions InformationHelpers but does
>   not explain their usage.

Can you elaborate a  bit more on the type of "data" that you want to
be displayed in the GUI elements? Also, are you planning on writing a
custom panel for the reader?

> 2) Can I use custom files - which I provide a reader for - in
>   pvd-Collection-type XML-files. If yes, how do I do that,
>   the naive idea of simply supplying the filename ends in a
>   SEG-Fault.

PVD does not support arbitrary file formats in the collection. It
certainly would be nice feature, however I am not sure it's going to
be fairly easy to implement. Feel free to add a feature request at
http://www.paraview.org/Bug

Utkarsh