[Paraview] slow (broken?) volume rendering in 3.4.0 (Fedora 10)

Mike Bull paraview.20.mikebull at spamgourmet.com
Sat Mar 14 03:19:20 EDT 2009

I'm having trouble with volume rendering, using the tutorial dataset
"disk_out_ref.ex2".
 From the dataset, I selected the "Temp" variable, and the "Volume"
representation.
The application then seems to nearly hang, except for occasional updates
of a progress
bar which says "OpenGLProjectTetrahedraMapper: <n>" where <n> appears to
be a
percent complete indicator.   It eventually gets to 100, but then just
starts over again
at 1.  Each cycle takes about 5 minutes and never ends.  I have to force
quit the application
to get out of it.

My system is Intel Core 2 Duo,  64-bit Fedora 10, with an ATI 4850
graphics card.
I installed  paraview from the Fedora repository using yum.  Paraview
version is 3.4.0.
I'm not using a remote server.

Mike