[Paraview] vts file format

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Thu Mar 5 11:56:44 EST 2009

> I got my application to write out each file for each block - the file is
> written in .vts format and
> in total i have 23 blocks = 23 files.  I then wrote a .pvts file to load
> everything into Paraview.
>
> Can I view this data as a multiblock data set ?

Yes. You need to write a vtm file that points to your pvts files
(isn't this fun?). To generate an example, load to .pvts files, group
the two together and write it out to a vtm file.

> Another confusion I have is the difference between whole and piece extent.
> At the moment, my whole
> extent and piece extent is the same within a single vts file - but on the
> pvts file, I define the whole extent
> and define each source with the correct piece extent.  I think my data is
> correctly being displayed by Paraview.
>
> Can some one tell me why we have whole and piece extent within a single
> *.vts file?

XML based VTK files support multiple pieces in the same file. That's
why you need to specify this redundant information when you have only
1 piece.

-berk