[Paraview] Parallel Paraview

Jean Favre jfavre at cscs.ch
Thu Mar 5 08:07:14 EST 2009

Natalie Happenhofer wrote:
> Ok, thanks a lot, I believe I understand..
>
> But that brings me to another question:
> I´m running paraview on 8 nodes, and my data is sliced into 8 pieces,
> which I can see when it´s rendering or with the ProcessId-Filter. In
> my case, its a cuboid and it´s divided into 8 pieces, sliced once in
> every layer. In order to make the parallelism useful for the
> algorithmus I implemented in my filters, I need to change the domain
> for every processor, i.e I want to slice the data into 8 pieces, but
> slicing it 7 times in the xy-layer. How can I achieve this, where are
> the domains for each processor specified?
Paraview will normally use an Extent Translator which will sub-divide in
each direction alternatively, as you have noticed.

You can override thsi default behavior with two lines of code in your
reader/filter. See further documentation for class vtkExtentTranslator
/
vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline *exec =
static_cast<vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline*>(this->GetExecutive());
exec->GetExtentTranslator(outInfo)->SetSplitModeToXSlab();/

Jean --
Swiss National Supercomputing Center