[Paraview] Multiple servers

pat marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Wed Jul 15 18:34:45 EDT 2009

Hi David,

You'll want to change your mpirun command a little bit-

on machine X: mpirun -np 3 -machinefile machinefile.txt pvserver

This will run 3 instances of pvserver where each instance runs on one of the
machines specified in machinefile.txt.  Machinefile.txt will list the
machine hostnames, one per line.  You'll need to setup password-less ssh
from machine X to machines Y and Z, otherwise it will prompt you for a
password for each machine.

Here's a link to a little test program you can try.  It will have each mpi
process print out its rank and hostname so that you can confirm that each
process really is running on its own machine-
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/comp/unix/farm/mpi.html

Pat