[Paraview] unstructured trasient format

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Oct 22 09:21:26 EDT 2008

Now that I read this again, I am unsure if you are speaking directly of the
native VTK .vtu files (or perhaps legacy .vtk files) or if you are asking
generally about the file formats that ParaView supports.  I will answer
both.

The native VTK unstructured grid files do not directly support data that
changes over time.  However, you can write out each time step in its own
file them sequentially (e.g. file0.vtu, file1.vtu, file2.vtu, ...).
ParaView will recognize this as a file series and read it as data that
changes over time.

There are some other formats read by ParaView that directly support
unstructured data that changes over time.  The Exodus and EnSight data
formats are both examples.

-Ken

*** *** ***  email: kmorel at sandia.gov
**  ***  **  phone: (505) 844-8919