Antw: [Paraview] Use paraview with a SGI prism and a Cave

Christian Wohlschlager Christian.Wohlschlager at jku.at
Tue Oct 31 03:43:17 EST 2006

** Reply Requested When Convenient **

Hi Yi !

In fact i use 2.5 because i can read in .cube gaussian files for 2.4
there is an error but the cave module ??? (should run also)
The problem is if you have a cave with 3 walls you need 3 processors
for 4 4 processors ...
i can run the pvserver with the cave display and mpi and on the client
in our case (maybe also in yours) the same.

so run :
on prism:
>mpirun -np 3 .\pvserver cave.pvx
also on prism another screen or session
> ./pvclient --stereo

you can see the client is connected to the server and the Client gui is
opend on the display of pvclient is set.

the actual cave display is set in the cave.pvx

Be carefull in defining cave.pvx during my struggle with paraview on
the cave i found out the this is more or less on of the keys in getting
a good cave visualisation.

You can send me your cave.pvx (what ever you named it) and your
configuration and i can give my hints.

i be happy to help you

christian

>>> yi mu <mugjfyi at yahoo.com> 10/30/06 11:55  >>>
Hi, Christian,

We have the same configuration as yours, so I am very
interested in trying the cave rendering mode out. From
your document, step 2, it says Paraview 2.5 (from cvs)
with MPI enabled and Paraview 2.5 not MPI enabled, do
you  mean the server will run with mpi enable and the
client with mpi not enabled? which means pvserver will
be compiled with MPI enabled and pvclient will be
compiled without MPI enabled?

Do we really need paraview2.5, how about lower  stable
version, like paraview2.4?

Thank you in advance for your help and I really
appreciate your efforts in investigating paraview cave
render mode.

Yi