[Paraview] Triggering execution on an asynchronous event

Andy Cedilnik andy.cedilnik at kitware.com
Mon Oct 23 11:41:45 EDT 2006

Hello Gregory, Kent,

I am actually working on this feature in ParaView. I cannot promise the time
frame for the feature to be complete, but I have best people working on it.

There will be couple of iterations we will go through, but I assume there
should be a prototype available soon.

You can start a wiki page now to describe the behavior you are interested
in, so we can get discussion running.

Thank you.

Andy

On 10/17/06, Kent Eschenberg <eschenbe at psc.edu> wrote:

> The answer to Greg's question would also be helpful to us.
>
> We are running an application on a parallel system and would like to use
> ParaView to monitor its output in real time.
>
> The app will be writing time steps (where each is a set of files, one from
> each processor) directly to the Linux PC where ParaView is running. ParaView
> will be reading these files via a pvd file that describes all the time steps
> including the ones not
> yet written by the app.
>
> However, we are missing one critical piece: how do we coax ParaView to
> notice that the next time step (i.e., the next set of files) has arrived -
> and to go read them?
>
> The most elegant solution to this, and Greg's question, would be to
> identify, in the server, something like a background loop, and then add a
> call to a new routine (that we write) that looks for our special event (a
> message, a new file, whatever) and
> then kicks off a change.
>
> Kent
> Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
>

> --On 10/17/2006 01:30:08 PM -0400 gabra at us.ibm.com wrote:
>
> > I have a Paraview source module thats connected to an external process
> by
> > a socket.  When that process sees fit, it will send a message to the
> > source module that new data is ready.  It will then pass the data over,
> > and the source module will grab it.  On the next RequestData, the source
> > module will update its outputs with the new data.  Unfortunately, I
> can't
> > seem to figure out how to trigger the pipeline (maybe I don't have the
> > right terminology here) to cause the pipeline to run and the render
> window
> > to update.
> >
> > One complication is that I'm in client/server mode, and right now the
> > client is not connected to the external process, just the source modules
> > that run in the server processes.
> >
> > Can anybody give me an idea of how this should be done?  I'm new to PV
> > (and have the book on order).  I could be going at this all wrong, for
> all
> > I know.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Greg