[Paraview] Triggering execution on an asynchronous event

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Tue Oct 17 14:02:32 EDT 2006

The answer to Greg's question would also be helpful to us.

We are running an application on a parallel system and would like to use ParaView to monitor its output in real time.

The app will be writing time steps (where each is a set of files, one from each processor) directly to the Linux PC where ParaView is running. ParaView will be reading these files via a pvd file that describes all the time steps including the ones not
yet written by the app.

However, we are missing one critical piece: how do we coax ParaView to notice that the next time step (i.e., the next set of files) has arrived - and to go read them?

The most elegant solution to this, and Greg's question, would be to identify, in the server, something like a background loop, and then add a call to a new routine (that we write) that looks for our special event (a message, a new file, whatever) and
then kicks off a change.

Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center