[Paraview] Problem with parallel module

Gregory D Abram gabra at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 3 18:21:19 EDT 2006

I'm trying to create a parallel reader and I guess I'm not understanding
something.  Before going so far as to actually read data, I have a little
attempt that, on each of 2 parallel servers, creates two orthogonal meshes
in the output vtkUnstructuredMesh thats passed into its ExecuteData
method.   It seems to run on both servers; I can put in a gdb breakpoint
at the ExecuteData entry point, and it gets hit in both cases.   I can
watch it create the two grids on each node.  I had guessed that the
reader, on each of the servers, would pass the local data down through
similar pipelines, which would join when truly parallel filters are
encountered, and finally join in a IceT sort-last rendering process.

Unfortunately, it seems that the output of the reader in the MyId = 1
server is disappearing.  IceT is doing the rendering, I think - rendering
windows pop up on the two server node's X servers.  But the one on the
MyId = 1 server remains empty, while the other shows the mesh thats
created on that server.

So I guess I'm wondering if I have to explicitly gather the data back onto
the MyId = 0 server and let PV handle redistribution?   Can somebody point
me at an illuminating document (I have the PV book on order).

Thanks,
Greg